Budapest city because of its Art Nouveau

« Older   Newer »

Group

Status
    I guess you can like a city because of its Art Nouveau, but that’s not the case with Budapest, for me. It worked the other way around: I like Art Nouveau, because of Budapest. Before than moving here in 2008, I didn’t know that buildings could try to imitate nature or reproduce female sensuality.

In Hungary, this style takes the name of Secession (Szecesszió), as it’s a result of a strong need of independence and a way to express the national identity of Hungarians, within the Empire dominated by the Habsburg.

When I arrived in Budapest I was a 20 years old Erasmus student equipped with a basic travel guide book. The book was suggesting a three hours itinerary of Secessionist Budapest. I had no idea what Secessionist meant, but I followed the tips and discovered a world.

Group
    Administrator

Status
    In Hungary, you need to show your ID to rent a bike, take 8rental o bus pass or to pick up a package at the post office. It basically means coming out as trans to complete strangers, all the time. The good version is they are nice about it, but there are situations where people turn quite hostile,” said Ivett Ördög, a 39-year-old trans woman living in Budapest.

1 replies since 19/5/2020, 19:15   29 views